Acne is a common skin problem. It is so common that nearly everyone will experience it at least once in their lifetime and no man or woman, young or old, is safe from it. Because of this, an enormous industry aimed at treating acne sprang alongside natural home remedies for acne which are a more traditional approach to this skin condition.
There are different kinds of acne but the more common one is acne vulgaris. Acne vulgaris comes in various forms: blackheads, whiteheads, papules, pustules and nodules.
Acne is basically a result of clogged follicles. Follicles get blocked when there is excess sebum produced and reasons why the sebaceous glands produce more sebum than normal are many including hormonal changes, bad eating habits and stress.
Areas of the body that are particularly susceptible to acne are the face, neck, shoulders, the chest and back. When squeezed (which they often are), acne pimples result to scarring and can cause pits to form in the skin surface. There are many natural home remedies for acne that people can opt for to naturally cure the condition and lessen the risk of adverse effects. Although there are many chemical-based products in the market these days natural remedies are often better as they have been tried and tested through the centuries, safe to use, have lesser side effects and cheaper.
The following are some of the natural home remedies for acne you can use:
- Crush mint leaves and apply to the affected area. This remedy will not only help in curing acne but also prevent further outbreaks.
- Using toothpaste on the spots is also a noted home remedy for acne. Simply apply a small amount of toothpaste on the pimple prior to going to bed and by morning, you will either see it gone or significantly reduced. Make use of a fluoride based toothpaste instead of a gel based one.
- Orange peels are also good home remedies for acne. Let the peel dry in the sun then grind the dried peels with some water to make a thick paste. Apply the paste on the infected area and wash off with water after it has dried.
- Using bay leaves can also treat your acne without having to resort to OTC or chemical based products. Boil one cup of water in a pan and add 3 to 4 fresh or dried bay leaves. Let simmer until all the essence of the bay leaves have been infused in the water. Drain water in a bowl and throw away the leaves. Wash your face with this water regularly to get clear, acne free skin.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice with 1 teaspoon of finely ground cinnamon powder. Soak a cotton ball in the mixture and dab on your acne. Let it dry for 10-15 minutes then wash your face with cold water.
- Dry roast some pomegranate seeds then grind them to a fine powder. Add 2-3 tablespoons of this powder to 1 tablespoon of lime juice to make a fine paste. Apply paste on the affected area and leave on to dry for 10-15 minutes before washing your face with lukewarm water.
- Mix equal amounts of lime juice and fresh tomato juice with 4 tablespoons of rose water. With this mixture, dab your face every 2-3 hours.
- Boil ½ cup of milk and add 2 tablespoons of nutmeg powder to it. Reduce the milk by simmering on a low heat until it is ¼ of the original amount. Dip a cotton ball into the mixture and apply on the affected area. Leave on to dry for 15-20 minutes before rinsing with water.
These natural home remedies for acne don’t promise immediate results, it will take some time for you to see changes. Following the steps regularly will ensure that you get clearer skin and minimize your spots and blemishes.