Sweet potatoes have amazing contribution of healthy vitamins like B6, C and E.
It also has a good amount of beta-carotene that is vitamin A and a great source of manganese.
Below are some recipes of sweet potatoes that will help you to consume these nutrients in a tasty way:
Smashed Potatoes with Greek yogurt and caramelized onion
- Two lbs red or purple or Yukon gold potatoes (which ever you have)
- One 6oz container Greek yogurt plain of FAGE total 0%.
- Half cup of skim milk
- Two yellow onions of medium size, sliced
- Two tbsp of olive oil
- One tbsp of sea salt
- Two tbsp of black pepper
Steps to make your yummy Smashed Potatoes with Greek yogurt and caramelized onion:
- In a frying pan put olive oil and than add sliced onion. Cook these sliced onions for 20 to 25 minutes on a medium low heat. You are done with the onions when it get caramelized
- Now wash your sweet potatoes and cut them into 1-2” pieces
- Than add these chunks of sweet potatoes into 2 quarts that is ½ gallon of cold water and heat it until it boils.
- A hint for you: heat sweet potatoes say for around 8 to 10 minutes until your fork tender.
- After the sweet potatoes are boiled, drain them and return to your pot.
- Now add milk to your sweet potatoes and start to mash them.
- After you are done with mashing of sweet potatoes add yogurt.
- Then season the mixture of potatoes, milk and yogurt with pepper and salt.
- After adding pepper and salt, continue smashing this mixture until it turns to your required level of softness.
- Add those caramelized onion.
- Your yummy and healthy sweet potatoes are ready and it is time to serve.
Mashed sweet potatoes with low fat yogurt:
1/4th cup of plain yogurt
1/4th finely minced onion
1 tsp of dried and finely chopped fresh parsley
Salt for taste