Are you wondering about which best acne treatments out there are?
This is perhaps the number one question any acne sufferer would ask. Acne is a common skin disorder that mainly affects the body’s visible areas: the face, neck, shoulders, back and chest. It is more commonly seen in young people or teenagers because the hormonal changes are more dominant at this age. However, acne can also affect adults and there are a variety of factors behind this.
Acne is usually caused by the overproduction of oil or sebum which in turn clogs pores. There are many reasons why this happens including hormonal changes and stress.
The best acne treatments for you will depend on your skin type: sensitive or oily skin.
Best Acne Treatments for Sensitive Skin
Sensitive skin is fine-textured skin that is quick to react to heat and cold. If you are easily sunburned or wind-burned, then you have sensitive skin. If your skin easily gets irritated by certain cosmetics and detergents, then you also have sensitive skin.
If you have sensitive skin and you suffer from acne, then you have a big problem (as if acne isn’t big enough a problem). Most over-the-counter medications for acne contain large amounts of beta hydroxy acid, benzoyl peroxide and alpha hydroxy acid which are not recommended for people with sensitive skin. These acids are used to increase the skin’s exfoliation however for people with sensitive skin, the reaction is in the form of red spots and burning sensations. These acids can even aggravate acne on sensitive skin.
So what are the best acne treatments for this skin type?
Natural acne treatment methods are safer and can help heal your skin in the right way. There are a lot of natural acne cures which can be done at home and make use of ingredients usually found in a household. Here are some homemade acne treatments for people with sensitive skin.
- Egg yolk mask – beat 1 egg yolk and apply it over your face with a clean makeup brush. Leave on for 10 minutes before washing off with cold water. Apply this homemade face mask once a day for 7 days
- Oatmeal mask – grind ½ cup oatmeal in a blender and pour it in a bowl. Add enough water to create a thick paste. Spread paste on your face and allow to dry. An oatmeal mask may just be the best acne treatments for those with sensitive skin.
- Apple honey mask – grate an apple and mix enough honey to make a paste then spread paste over your face and leave on for 20-25 minutes. Wash the paste off your face with lukewarm water.
Best Acne Treatments for Oily Skin
People with oily skin are more prone to getting acne however controlling sebum production with regular cleansing habits can reduce the breakouts. Aside from regular cleansing, following a good diet can help you eradicate acne.
When it comes to treating acne for people with oily skin, there are natural and medicated products to choose from:
- Medicated products – most products like these contain salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide which are ingredients that help dry up the pimple while acting as an exfoliant. There are many over-the-counter products which can potentially treat your acne if you have oily skin. When using OTC products, make sure to follow the directions to use as mentioned on the label.
- Natural products – Since you have an oily skin, it is best to stay away from greasy thick oils and stick to essential oils. The best acne treatment to use is jojoba oil as it is light and is very similar to human sebum so it is easily absorbed by the skin. Oil dissolves oil so jojoba oil can help to unclog pores. To use, combine 10 drops of jojoba oil with 3 drops of pure tea tree oil then apply mixture on the affected area. Tea tree oil is a powerful antibiotic and it can kill the bacteria that cause pimples, so the combination of jojoba oil and tea tree oil can be the best acne treatments for oily skin.